Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pizzelles, beautiful pizzelles...

In the interest of continuing to try new things, I am posting a recipe to link up to Mandy's recipe box. Not that trying a recipe is a new thing for me, but posting about it and linking up to another blog is.

These are the prettiest cookies ever. Pizzelles have always been one of my favorite cookies. My son loves them too and calls them "snowflake cookies". My parents have made them every year for Christmas and bought me a pizzelle maker years ago that I love! My dad's pizzelle recipe is perfect...just the right amount of anise. I love anise flavor in my pizzelles but not too much. They are so light and airy that I'm convinced they are only about 10 calories each. I'm not going to look up the actual nutritional information though and burst my bubble!

My dad tried a new recipe and new technique this year. Colored pizzelles. They are simply gorgeous. Based on his recommendation, I used 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 anise as this recipe didn't have any anise (it's a different batter because it needs to be thicker to roll it in the non-pareils). Also, my dad said colored sugar just burns. The multi-colored ones are with the non-pareils and the red and green ones are with sprinkles (they make more "dots" of color versus the lines the non-pareils make).

By the way, on the Woman in White front I am on page 420 out of 602. Making progress. It really is a good suspense novel and I recommend it to anyone looking to read a 600 page book!

On to the recipe for these beauties!


Pizzelle Colorate

Colored Pizzelle
Makes about 4 1/2 dozen
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 1/4 cups sugar

5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3  cups multi-colored nonpareils
In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Add the vanilla extract. On low speed, blend in the flour mixture a little at a time until well blended. The dough will be soft.
Cover the bowl and chill the dough for at least two hours.
(Note you can make the dough in a food processor, combining the butter and sugar first, then eggs and vanilla and lastly the flour mixture).
Heat a pizzelle maker according to manufacturers directions. If it is non-stick, spray it with a baking spray or lightly brush with vegetable oil.
Pour the nonpareils into a shallow dish.
Using two teaspoons scoop up a spoonful of the dough and using the spoon as a guide, roll the dough in the nonpareils coating it well. Place the dough in the center of the form; if you have a two-form maker, or four-form maker, roll the balls first before putting them on the form.
Close the lid and latch it for a count to 30. Lift the lid and remove the pizzelle with the edge of a fork and place them on cooling racks in single layers to cool completely. For darker colored pizzelle hold for a longer count.
Continue making pizzelle until all the dough is used.
The pizzelle should be thin and have a crisp texture. When completely cool, wrap them in groups of six in plastic wrap and place in airtight containers. Pizzelle can be made ahead and frozen for up to three months.
Linking up here:

blog-page.html.jpg
http://mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment